Meet our Third Grade Teachers
Click Here for 3rd grades class website.
Third Grade Resources
- Understand fractions as numbers
- Create equivalences and compare fractions
- Compare shapes use them to represent fractions
- Fluently add and subtract within 1,000
- Solve two- step word problems involving the four operations
- Multiplication facts
- Represent and solve multiplication and division problems
- Scaled picture and bar graphs
- Measure lengths to the half and quarter inch
- Area and perimeter
- Tell time and solve time interval problems
- Volume and mass
English Language Arts
- Developing motivated, strategic, constructive, fluent and independent readers, writers, and communicators
- Extending oral language abilities and the use of reading and writing processes
- Read literature and informational texts
- Express thinking and support opinions using textual evidence both orally and in writing
- Use research skills and tools to gather, organize, summarize and share information
- States of Matter
- Life Cycles
- Earth Materials
- Changes of Matter
- Rock Cycle
- Historical fact and fiction
- Short Term Financial Goals
- Local Government
- Development of community
- Views and Rights
- Component of Democracy
- Geographic Tools
- Exchange of Goods and Services
- Perform extended melodic and harmonic patterns
- Perform from music notation
- Improvise phrases and patterns
- Identify tone colors
- Notate music
- Comprehend melodic and harmonic patterns
- Analyze form
- Identify music preferences
- Discuss music of diverse cultures
- Respond to and evaluate musical elements
- Demonstrate expressive elements
- Artistic intent
- Individual ideas to make meaning
- Make connections
- Language of art
- Art-making process
- Historical and cultural ideas are evident in works of art
- Art has purpose
- Basic studio skills
- Communicate appropriate food choices
- Injury prevention at home, school, and community
- Demonstrate refusal skills for unhealthy eating
- Communication skills for positive interactions with families
- Dangers of using tobacco products or being exposed to second hand smoke
- Describe pro-social behaviors to enhance healthy living
Demonstrate a variety of motor patterns in simple combinations while participating in activities, games, and sports
Perform movements that engage the brain to facilitate learning
Identify the benefits of sustained physical activity that causes increased heart rate and heavy breathing
Understand that the body is composed of water, muscle, bones, organs, fat, and other tissues
Demonstrate positive social behaviors during class
Students in 3rd Grade take a math screener in the Fall to assess student math skills and guide teachers in grouping students for instruction and helping struggling students. A winter and spring screener may also be given to assess growth.
Students in 3rd Grade take the Colorado Measure of Academic Success (CMAS) Math test in the spring.
English Language Arts
Students in 3rd Grade do fall, winter, and spring reading assessments to determine student reading levels and chart progress. The assessments are also used to group students to provide targeted instruction based on student need.
Students in 3rd Grade take a district end of year common writing assessment.
Students in 3rd Grade take the Colorado Measure of Academic Success (CMAS) ELA test in the spring.
The following resources can be accessed through the Single-Sign-On Portal at my.bvsd.org. Once students are logged in to the portal with their BVSD username and password, the apps will automatically log in when clicked on.
Individualized practice in phonological awareness, phonics, vocabulary development, high frequency words and comprehension
Reading Plus (Grades 3-12)
Supports visual processing, silent reading fluency, vocabulary development, comprehension, and writing about reading
ebooks on Sora
Go to the Sora website/download the app. Then find your school and use your BVSD account to login.
Think Central is a powerful and extensive website for parents and students using Math Expressions, the adopted curricular materials for BVSD elementary schools.
Log In : Login through the Single-Sign-On Portal at my.bvsd.org. Once students are logged in to the portal with their BVSD username and password, the apps will automatically log in when clicked on.
MegaMath is a series of games and activities that accompany Math Expressions. Ask your teacher which activities are appropriate for the current unit of study.
We have some amazing community resources here in BVSD. Check out their websites for resources, activities, events, and more.
The Thorne Nature Experience
CU Museum of Natural History
Boulder County Parks and Open Space
Wild Bear Mountain Ecology Center
Take a visit to explore the Museum of Boulder/History of Boulder Museum.
Visit the History Colorado Center.
Try out some of these activities that can be done at home.
Math Expressions has been used in Elementary BVSD classrooms since the 2013 - 2014 school year. It was selected for being a rigorous, well articulated, research based program that aligns closely with the Colorado Academic Standards for Mathematics.
Math Expressions- Models, Methods, and Icons provides for you an overview of expectations, computational techniques as well as some of the instructional methods of Math Expressions.
Dual Language Schools use Pearson Ready Gen, as well as Palabras a Su Paso for Phonics instruction.
Non-Dual Language Schools use Heinemann, Fountas and Pinnell Classroom, as well as Wilson, Fundations for Phonics instruction.
Learn more about other approved elementary language arts materials here.
You can learn more about the approved learning materials for elementary science here.
You can learn more about the approved learning materials for elementary social studies here.
Elementary Health materials Elementary PE Materials K-12 Art Materials K-12 Music Materials